Browse FAQs and helpful resources. Thank you for being part of the Shop Local RI community and selling your products in the Marketplace!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Business Profile?
A Business Profile is your business' landing page. No matter which membership level you choose - free, starter, pro, or sponsor - every member has a Business Profile page. It includes your logo, a banner, and all of your business contact information so customers can find you! You may also add photos, a Meet the Seller introduction, videos, and more! We encourage all of our members to use their business profile page to its fullest extent possible.
Where can I begin to create my Business Profile on Shop Local RI?
It's so easy to create a new profile. First, be sure you don't already have one. The Shop Local RI website was first created during the pandemic and you may not remember or realize that you are already listed! Do a quick search on the site for your company to confirm.
If you do not have a Business Profile listed, it's easy to create a new Shop Local RI profile.
Follow the steps below, or watch this video on how to create your Rhode Island business profile.
- Start at the top right! Select “Register” to create your account using your email, name, and password.
- Hover over “Hi, <your name>” in the top right side navigation and a dropdown menu will appear. Select "View Dashboard."
- Once you're there, you can begin to update your profile. A good place to begin is "Launchpad"
My profile already exists, how do I claim my Business Profile page on Shop Local RI?
With a few steps, it's easy to Claim your already-existing Shop Local RI profile:
Follow the steps below, or watch this video on how to claim your Rhode Island business profile.
- At the top right corner, select “Login” and then "Forget Password?"
- When you enter your business email, be sure to use the same email address listed in your Business Profile.
- You will receive a "password reset" option sent to that email address to reset your password.
- If your account is not found, you will receive the message "Invalid username or email."
- You'll need to create a new profile (see previous FAQ) or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Hover over “Hi, ...<your name>” in the top right side navigation and a menu will appear select "View Dashboard."
- Go to Account Settings to create a password for your Business.
What does a business profile contain?
Each level of a business profile page has the ability to showcase your company in the best way possible.
When making changes to your profile, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Address: (leave off your street address if you don’t want that public); you must list a city or town.
- Logo: Square format and a .png or .jpg format will work best.
- Cover image: this image should be horizontal with no words or logos, and showcase your business
- Short Business Overview: less than 1,000 characters
- Meet the Seller: This section is optional, but a photo is required to complement the bio.
How many images can I add to my profile?
- A Free subscription allows you to add your logo and a banner image
- A Starter subscription will allow you to add up to six images to your profile.
- A Pro subscription will also allow you to add up to six images, and a video to your profile.
- A Sponsor subscription will allow you to add up to six images, and a video to your profile. Your company's banner will become an Ad that shows up in over 25 locations of the website.
How do I start selling products?
Go to your Dashboard. (To get there, hover over “Hi, ...<your name>” in the top right navigation of the Home Page, and a menu will appear select "View Dashboard.")
Once you are in your dashboard, click to the Launchpad. Then click Manage Subscriptions at the top.
- Choose your desired level of membership for selling products: Starter or Pro subscription.
- You will be able to Change, Upgrade, or Cancel your Plan at anytime.
- Follow the steps. We are always available for support, but this website is very easy and intuitive!
- IMPORTANT: Be sure to set up your Stripe account so you can get paid! (SLRI take NO percentage of your sales).
Is my information secure while using this site?
What does Shop Local RI do to promote the Marketplace?
Like any great website, we use Search Engine Optimization, and ongoing website updates to be sure all algorithms are aligned with up-to-date internet functionality. The Shop Local RI consistently places our vendors and and their products on social media everyday, with organic content and sharing their own posts.
Many vendors have also chosen to be featured within SLRI's newsletter distribution, on our podcast, or with an ad on our site. Our goal is take a percentage of all membership and sponsor dollars and reinvest it into more ad campaigns. Our ads and promotion include: TV, radio, and well-known local publications. At the end of 2022, and into 2023, Shop Local RI embarked on a marketing campaign to promote the marketplace, local businesses, and SLRI vendors.
You'll see us on: The Rhode Show, Studio 10, social media, Rhode Island Monthly, Hey Rhody. We have top billing on the Broadway Buzz @PPAC, and can be found on 2023 Providence Business News' Book of Lists.
Can a customer purchase on my website vs. Shop Local RI's Marketplace?
Our ultimate goal is to encourage Rhode Islanders to purchase from a variety of local businesses with one check-out. We consistently market and advertise Shop Local RI vendors and products to increase exposure and continually drive traffic to the marketplace. If your website is listed on your Business Profile page, then yes, shoppers can always go to your website for a purchase.
Does Shop Local RI take any fees from the sale or shipping costs?
NO! Your funds are processed by Stripe, so only their processing fee of 2.9% + 0.30 per successful card charge is held back and paid to Stripe. Your sale is transferred to your bank account. You will experience NO setup fees, NO monthly fees, or NO hidden fees. You can easily set up a Stripe account from your Shop Local RI Launchpad and select "Get paid." It is quick and easy.
How does your Marketplace handle sales tax?
RI Sales tax is charged at a 7% rate and those funds are part of your sale, deposited into your account for proper reporting. Tax-exempt businesses will be able to choose that they are tax-exempt once their shop is set up.
What happens when a sale is made?
As a vendor, once a sale is made, you will immediately receive an email with your customer's contact and shipping information. We encourage all of our sellers to act promptly to deliver the products or services, and "close" the sale on Shop Local RI.
May I get in touch with a customer?
When an order is placed, you will receive an email with your buyer's contact and shipping information. If there is a legitimate reason to contact the buyer, you have their information.
If I have a Business Profile, can I automatically begin selling products or advertising on Shop Local RI?
Yes! If you’ve created a business profile, you can easily become a vendor or advertiser in the marketplace! We have different subscription plans to choose from depending upon what you’d like to do. All of this information can be found in your Vendor Dashboard upon logging in to your account.
My business has multiple locations, does a Business Profile allow me to add those addresses?
No. You will need to create a new profile for each business location. You will need to use a separate email to administer each profile. Please reach out to us if you need assistance. We can easily duplicate one profile to make it easier for you.
How do I contact Shop Local RI support?
Visit our Contact Page for more information.
Shop Local RI Tutorial VideosVideo Tutorials
Why is it Important for me to shop local?
We believe that successful small business owners are the engine that creates strong, educated, thriving communities. By shopping local, we can:
Support our economy and keep dollars circulating in Rhode Island!
Shorten our supply chain and minimize energy resources needed.
Help our businesses by buying gift cards and gift certificates.
Highlight and support your local shops and businesses.
Keep employers and employees working and thriving.
Have those local RI products you love, delivered to your door!